Possibility Space is seeking a Backend Engineering Lead to help us build robust and scalable backend services supporting an innovative online multiplayer experience and platform.
As Backend Engineering Lead, you’ll drive the efforts to design and build backend services to host the game servers and supporting services that enable players to connect and interact with each other in novel ways. You’ll help establish strong reliability and monitoring practices to deliver great uptime for an international audience of players, while putting great recovery processes in place so we can rapidly address issues when things go wrong. You’ll do it all in iterative collaboration with a team of talented engineers while working in concert with artists, designers, and developers across other disciplines.
Reporting to the Technical Director, this role collaborates with disciplines across the entire project through all stages of development.
Core Responsibilities & Objectives
- Design, build, and maintain a services infrastructure to power a reliable, low-latency, and scalable game experience.
- Build, instrument, and test high-availability architectures with robust monitoring, failover, and on-call strategies.
- Develop a growth plan for the Backend Engineering team, and help recruit and manage team members as the organization grows.
- Work in partnership with DevOps, Engine, Systems, and Gameplay engineering teams to deliver a great holistic gameplay experience for our players powered by efficient, extensible, and easy-to-develop services.
- Instrument, profile, and optimize cloud-based services to deliver scalable, performant services and optimize hosting costs.
- Provide feedback and guidance across the entire project. Help mentor and guide team members in areas of expertise.
- Advocate for other developers with plans to improve tooling, workflows, automation, etc.
Core Traits (Skills, Knowledge, Experience)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- Expertise in cloud service deployment, monitoring, and scaling principles and best practices.
- Experience building infrastructure via cloud platforms at scale (we mostly use Azure).
- Experience with SQL and nonrelational databases (such as MongoDB).
- Experience with asynchronous programming.
- Solid analytical problem-solving and debugging skills.
- Able to write readable, maintainable code with an eye toward debuggability and extensibility.
- Empathetic and supportive collaboration across many disciplines and experience levels.
- Excellent spoken and written communication.
- Experience with leadership and management.
- Experience with real-time networking protocols.
- Experience with game development.
- Experience integrating with backend gaming services (such as PlayFab)
- Experience with Unity or other client engines that interface with game servers and other backend services.
- Close vision to monitors and screens, consistently working on computer equipment such as keyboards and monitors, long periods of sitting.
- Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Prytania Media is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, marital status, medical condition(s), national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristics protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances, or common human decency.